Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Body: Experiments

I have finally recovered from Wisp (photos from that coming sometime this upcoming week) so time to get to real business with the body project!  I did a few experiments drawing a continuous line with my arm fully stretched out.  It hurt more than expected and I lasted maybe 10-15 minutes before my arm just couldn't keep itself up anymore.  It was also difficult to keep a smooth line since the sharpie liked to skip a little.


The first image is me just trying to draw with a continuous line and as you can see the line liked to skip around.  The second image I had an image in mind and gave my arm a little more support at the elbow so it's smoother.  

While doing these experiments I came up with a modified idea where I draw something associated with my body (I'm thinking maybe an EKG, but where could I get that done...?) 20-30 times, scan those images, and then laser engrave each iteration into plexiglass.  That could be interesting since there will be different depths where the laser traces over the same area.  I would also probably want to have a layer of color on top of the plexiglass so that the engraving creates some contrast.

Not sure if I'm going to incorporate technology into this one.  My first instinct is almost always "add light," and although I think illuminating the engraved lines would be beautiful I would need to figure out how to build a box to contain it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment